Maplewood Baptist Church was organized on Sunday afternoon, August 12, 1934, when a body of people met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chester Underwood to organize a church in the Maplewood vicinity. The home still stands at 205 Maple Street. The church continued to meet in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Underwood during its first year. During this time the congregation was busy trying to get their building constructed on its present site that was donated by Mr. T. P. Jernigan, who "was of another faith." The original building was a one-room church. Many members and friends worked to build the church and not one penny was spent for labor. On Sunday, August 18, 1935, the first service was held in the new building. The church sold the old parsonage on Jean Street and built a new brick home on the corner of Grove and Harrison Streets at a cost of $7,800. The church bought an organ on April 17, 1960. In August 1960, Miss Kay Lee was employed as part-time secretary at $1.00 an hour. Miss Lee, Mrs. Kay Parish, served faithfully as part-time secretary of Maplewood for over 43 years.
On April 18, 1962, the church entered a contract of $54,311 to construct a 42x85-foot new auditorium to seat 400 people and add more Sunday School rooms, with a modern kitchen in the basement. Miss Marie Bevill was elected librarian of the new church library. In May, 1972, Bro. Noel Edwards began serving as pastor and served until August of 1974. During his tenure the church voted to purchase a church bus, to sell the parsonage on Grove Street, and build a new parsonage on Green Valley Drive. The parsonage is now owned by our current pastor, Bro. Corey Cain.
On Mother's Day, May 13, 1984, Bro. Lynn King began his ministry at Maplewood. He was the longest tenured pastor of the church until he left on Mother's Day, 2000. During these years the church continued to grow and support missions. On January 1, 1994, Mr. David John Roberts began his ministry at Maplewood as Director of Music. A few years ago, additional property on the south side of the building was purchased and paved for parking. In 1998, the church purchased two pieces of property on the north side for future expansion. In April, 2001 Bro. Craig Peevyhouse was called as pastor and served until May of 2005. During his time as pastor, the church voted to build a Family Life Center. This was a time of growth at Maplewood.
Our current pastor, Bro. Corey Cain, began his ministry here in May, 2006. He led the church’s first international mission team to Honduras in the summer of 2007. The current active deacons are Kenny Arnold, Jimmy Barrett, Jeremy Buckelew, Kenny Cook, Steve Clendenin, Brian Norton, and David Webb.
On November 7, 2006, the church voted to relocate our facilities. In February, 2007, the church purchased 15.5 acres on the Hwy 218 Bypass and began making plans for a new building. On Easter Sunday, April 4, 2010, Maplewood held its first service in its new location.